Tuesday 26 August 2014

Working with the JMICAWE team: reflections of a visiting academic


Those of you may remember from earlier blogs, our associate academic Mark Farnworth came to spend couple of months with us, all the way from New Zealand.  The time has flown, but here are a few thoughts and reflections from Mark about his work with us over the summer:



It has been a whistle stop eight weeks here at JMICAWE which has seen me get involved with the innovative, and beautifully crafted, MOOC to over 33,000 students. I have also been involved with a range of initiatives and future projects that focus on education in developing nations to improve animal welfare outcomes.
In my spare time I have visited Newcastle University, The Royal Veterinary College and Aberdeen University as well as SRUC. The reception I received, and the support for my ideas, has been amazing and I very much look forward to pursuing these ideas (and of course funding) in the future.
JMICAWE boasts an exceptional and passionate staff and was able to facilitate a rapid expansion in my horizons. I'm hoping my connection with them as an associate will continue for many years. Of course it wasn't all hard graft, from swimming and canoeing in the river to enjoying the evenings at the Edinburgh Festival my time here has been a joy. Thanks to Nat and the team.
-Mark Farnworth, 2014




The team here in Edinburgh will certainly be staying in touch and continuing our connections and work together.  You can read more about Mark's work and research here: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mark_Farnworth



No comments:

Post a Comment