Tuesday 15 May 2018

Introducing Louise Buckley to the JMICAWE team

A new face joins the Clinical Animal Behaviour MSc team

Our online MSc programme Clinical Animal Behaviour has proved so popular with students from across the world that it has been necessary to appoint a full time programme coordinator to assist Dr Amy Miele.

Meet Dr Louise Buckley, the newest recruit to our team here at JMICAWE.

 “Hello everyone! I was delighted to be offered this job as the programme focuses on many of my interests, and this means that I am in contact every day with students and staff from all over the world who also share my enthusiasm for animal behaviour and welfare.

Accepting this job was something of an academic home-coming for me as I started out here as a postgraduate student on the Applied Animal Behaviour and Welfare MSc programme back in the mid-2000s. I enjoyed myself so much that I then stayed to undertake a PhD in poultry welfare, focusing on broiler breeder hunger and diet preferences. The quest for an academic job then took me back South of the border, where I joined another university and lectured in veterinary nursing and animal behaviour/welfare topics for seven years.

However, my background is more eclectic than that - I am also a registered veterinary nurse who has worked in clinical practice for 20 years, often alongside my academic studies and teaching commitments. I can often be found at the weekend working at a busy veterinary emergency clinic and supporting clients and their pets through often difficult and traumatic events. I am also heavily involved in promoting evidence-based veterinary medicine and professional development of veterinary professionals through my activities with a number of veterinary organisations, and this is a passion I hope to extend further through my involvement once again with the CAB programme and the veterinary school.”

We welcome Louise back to Edinburgh and to the JMICAWE team.




1 comment: